Rogue Creamery Cheese Featured on White House Menu
Earlier this month, we heard the exciting news that one of our very own vendors had made its way all the way to the White House! At a diplomatic dinner hosted by the Bidens for French president Emmanuel Macron and his wife, Brigitte, Rogue Creamery’s Rogue River Blue was the star of the cheese platter. With good reason– the limited-edition, cave-aged cheese from Rogue was crowned Grand Champion at the 2019 World Cheese Awards. This was the first time an American-made cheese achieved that honor, making it the perfect ambassador!
Rogue River Blue is only produced annually, and under very strict conditions:
“As fall comes to the Rogue Valley, cooler temperatures and wet weather bring renewed growth to the pastures. This is when our cow’s milk is at its best – and it’s only during these months that we make our limited edition, seasonal Rogue River Blue […] After 9 to 11 months of careful tending in our aging caves, our team hand-wraps each wheel in organic, biodynamic Syrah grape leaves that have soaked in pear spirits.”
Because of the cheese’s limited run, you can only purchase River Blue directly from Rogue Creamery. But if you’re interested in branching out, here’s what else was on the White House menu along with similar cheeses you can get right here at Pierre Cheese Market.
Pierre Cheese’s Purely Presidential Menu
- Rogue River Blue from Rogue Creamery
- Instead try: Oregon Blue from Rogue Creamery
- Approachable and fruity, this cave-aged blue cheese comes from the same creamery as its slightly-more-famous cousin.
- Cheese Is Love Extra-Aged Cheddar from Rogue Creamery
- Instead try: Mary’s Cheddar from Rogue Creamery
- A slight pivot from Rogue’s delicious cheddar, this cheese is infused with woody, lemon-pine flavors for a delightfully herbaceous feel.
- Humboldt Fog from Cypress Grove
- Instead try: Plain Goat Log from Ile de France
- Light, creamy, and slightly tangy, you can’t go wrong with this classic take on goat cheese.
- The Imperial Buck from Deer Creek
- Instead try: Red Fox by Belton Farm
- Similar to the darling of Deer Creek, Red Fox has that rugged “crunch” that only comes with the finest maturation practices.
- Bluehorn Blue from Rogue Creamery
- Instead try: Bluehorn Blue from Rogue Creamery
- This one, we do have 😉
And remember– if you want the authentic ambassador’s experience, serve your cheese after dinner as a pre-dessert appetizer. It’s the French way!